<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Putting 2 and 2 together 

Just realized today on the train that almost all of my favorite cities (i.e. Tokyo, Paris, Berlin, Athens GA.) have at least one very interesting thing in common: They were all occupied, either completely or partially by 'hostile' forces, for a considerable period of time after the most recent wars that were fought in their respective locales (WW II's Pacific Theater and Europe in the case of the former three, and America's Civil War in case of the latter). Furthermore, as for Tokyo, Berlin, and Athens GA, all three were on the 'losing' side. Cities like London and NYC, while I do think of them as grand, just don't do it for me. I wonder why that is? Anyway, if my little observation holds any water, I'm sure that after having read Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon, I'd find some of the post-colonial cities of Northern Africa spellbinding. I really have to spend more time thinking about that continent.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?