<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 11, 2004

katamari damashi - a 'superflat' video game 


I haven't really been into playing video games since I was a teenager, although there was a short spell (a few months in fact) in LA a couple of years ago when I was playing Tekken on the weekends with my Korean friends. That doesn't mean that I don't like playing them, I do. I still use a hacked PS Dual Shock 2 Controller on my Max/MSP patches sometimes, when I know nobody is looking, just for kicks. And recently I did go out to see the 'level-x' thing in Tokyo with Jean. (I'm almost done with my review of it for 1-UP MegaZine!) But I guess I'd rather read about the whole thing than play...I'm probably getting old, that's all. Anyway, with all that said, I'd just like to report that the new cool game soon to be released here in Tokyo is called 'katamari damashi' (in Japanese this means something like 'lumped-together soul' although if you've got a better translation of the title, please let me know). Anyway, I'm sure it will mean more to kids on my side of the aesthetic equation than the other, but just for the record, I wanted to say here, once and for all, that the concept of superflatness has FINALLY made it into video game form. Non-linear accretion never felt this good!!! (Remember kids, you heard it here first.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?