<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

RADIO FREE TUJIKO II 

Well, I couldn't wait any longer, and I haven't been impatient, but nobody seemed all that interested in publishing my unofficial English translation of Tujiko Noriko's 'radio' program found on her webpage. (The Japanese transcription is below that.) Perhaps I didn't shop it around to the right people? Oh, well. So here's the whole thing just for you, for free. Drop me a line if you enjoyed reading it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
TUJIKO NORIKO RADIO (English version)

Good morning/evening everybody! Tsujiko Noriko here. I make songs but I also sing and stuff too. So, I’m always alone in my room, plugging away at songs, taking drags on my cigarette, sipping beer and eating [Japanese] pickles while pecking away at my computer. When my friends see me like that, they always tease me, saying things like, “Tsujiko, you’re such a total geezer!” Let’s see...I like doughnuts and I’m also into Porsches. (laughs) So, about my songs...Oh yeah, I made an album and one of the tracks is about Porsches, so check it out OK? I’ll play that one now.

OK. Next is “White Film.” On this one, I was thinking about the day that I came across this fine, young guy. And then, I was reflecting on the beauty of youth (laughs) when I made it. I just kind of slapped it together with some sounds. Then my friend Hironobu Sasaki got in there and did a really detailed mix and kind of tinkered with the sounds. He really had a big hand in putting this one together, so thanks to him the track has a pretty good vibe and is kind of popular. My friends and I are really into it too. Well, just give it a listen OK?

Here’s “Bebe.” This one’s kind of long. My stuff always turns out on the girlie side, but I really like more macho-sounding music with a driving beat like hip-hop or some other kind of crazy stuff. But for some reason I just can’t make that kind of music, so I thought that I’d try and do a track that could break out in rhythm. As far as the content goes...people like like Mie Nakao, and Ms. Ito...Midori was it? Oh right, her name’s Yukari! Anyway, I’m going off on a tangent here, but a friend of mine told me about that song “Konichiwa Akachan” [“Hello baby” in the Japanese, a popular song which celebrates motherhood]: you guys know it’s not being played at all these days? They say it’s not very PC if you play it because people who can’t have children are gonna feel offended. So I (laughs) didn’t know about that and I was...er, singing it. Well, when I made my song, I didn’t have a clue about the “konichiwa akachan” thing. Anyway, I was pretty surprised (laughs)! Oh, and I’m also totally clueless when it comes to French. My French it so strange! If a French person hears it, they’ll probably be like “What the hell are you taking about?!?” When it comes to French like that, I can speak a little bit: basic, greeting-level stuff. Well, please give it a listen...and try not to get angry. “Bebe.”

OK. Well, now I’m chatting with a rather cute individual who happens to be here at the moment. Anyway, I’m gonna make a song called “Father,” or actually “The father who never comes home” and I think my dad’ll get pissed-off again. Next up is one titled “Tokyo.” It’s a pretty common title, so actually I don’t really even like it myself. Ummm...I often think things like, “Man, Tokyo is so filthy!” but at the same time it’s so dirty that it’s beautiful, or something like that. It’s a “so wack that it’s totally cool” kind of thing, you know? Well, I kind of fell in love with Tokyo and wrote and sang this one.

Actually, I was living in Osaka, I was also born there, but about 6 years ago, when I was 18 -- I’m 24 years old now (laughs) -- I moved to Tokyo. Recently it’s like I’ve gotten tired of Tokyo. What I’m saying is that I want to live in a different city with my significant other. Now I’m living in a place which is, even for a filthy city like Tokyo, pretty filthy. But it’s also so filthy that I’m into it. I’m living in Ikebukuro. [Ikebukuro is a large, somewhat seedy city in the Tokyo metropolitan area with a thriving red-light district.] From the station it’s around a 10 min. walk through a residential area, but there are a lot of apartments and condos too. So anyway, since I’m a girl, during that 10 min. walk not that many people try and talk to me, but when my male friends visit me here, the street girls are like [Tsujiko here is impersonating a foreign accent in Japanese], “Hey there!” What else was it? Oh yeah, “Massage! Wanna massage?” (big laughter) and stuff like that. What else were they saying? I forgot! But it looks like the people who pass by them are always getting propositioned, one right after another. And then...well you can always see like 10 of those girls standing around. But you know, there are a few that you’d think were Japanese. Yeah, well...that kind of thing. Oh, and the supermarket’s open really late here. Like until 5 AM. That’s pretty cool. Well, whatever. OK, here’s filthy Tokyo for you...

I started thinking that this summer I’d get into surfing, because one of my new friends -- I wonder, was it last year or two years ago that we met -- went abroad to study surfing [Japan has many surfing aficionados, but poor waves], but I guess he didn’t really get much studying done, huh? I’m not sure. Anyway, it looks like my friend was doing a lot of surfing abroad, and I guess he’s still going surfing in Chiba Prefecture or somewhere. So I was thinking that I’d go too, but...So the next one’s called “Mannequin Surfer.” It’s about surfing. Surfing and a mannequin. (laughs) That pretty much sums it up! (laughs) I’m really into this one. Yeah, I guess I like the lyrics. I’ve got a mannequin-heart. (laughs) What the hell am I saying?!? (big laughter) Weird! Anyway, this one has an icy feel and I think it’s cool to listen to it in the summer. Check it out!

So now I’ll play “Marble Waltz”. On this one, I was really going on no sleep, and on top of that I was drinking -- it kind of wrote itself when I wasn’t looking. Yeah, this one’s pretty cool. Oh, so my mom hates my music. She’s always saying things like, “Oh, Noriko! What’s with these dark songs?” There was something else too, “Make it sound more like Misia or Utada Hikaru or...” No wait! That wasn’t it! It was Ayumi Hamazaki! “Make it more like Ayumi’s music!” she would say. She never gives me one single word of praise, and actually that’s a pretty big letdown. So I wonder if I can get my mom Chieko to listen to this one that I sort of made. Mommy, please listen!

OK, this is the last one. This one is...umm...you know how at the beginning I was talking about how I liked doughnuts and Porsches and stuff, right? Well this one’s called “Porsche” but it’s not that great! (laughs) I just slapped that title on it! Recently, I went riding for the first time in a Porsche with the top down, and it was such a rush! They’re so cool, right!? I wonder if any dumb-ass college chicks will get pissed off if they hear this? Some people might even think of me as a dumb college girl too. Anyway, I love cool stuff. Yeah, this one was actually titled “Konchusaishu” [“insect collecting” in the Japanese] at first. (laughs)

So on this one, I was really going flat-out right from the start. It was the same with the lyrics too: green bugs, swallowtail butterflies, and lots of other insects show up in this song. It seemed like a really fun song, but then when I really thought it over, I was like, “Huh, guess this one isn’t so great after all!.” So I kind of choked. Then I was really trying to polish it up and rework it. So I was watching F1 racing on TV; I’m really into F1. The cars just thunder by! So I heard from a friend of mine -- this really made an impression -- that since the F-1 cars are racing pedal to the metal, after the race they can’t really run anymore. Well I mean, of course they can still run, but they’re kind of “spent” after that: just a burnt-out hulk. When I heard that I thought, “Wow, cool!” There I was flooring it, making “Konchusaishu” (laughs) and then before I knew it, it was going in file 13. Well, that kind of reminded me of the Porsche thing. It’s a beautiful song. When I made it, I thought, “Let’s burn some rubber!” Well, that’s it. Bye!

Translation: Robert Duckworth (Winter, 2003). Posted here with absolutely no permission at all.
---------------------------------------------------------------
TUJIKO NORIKO RADIO (日本語版)

今晩は。こんにちはー。ツジコ・ノリコと言います。曲を作ってるんですけど、歌ったりもしています。えーっと、一人で部屋でコリコリ作ってるんですけど(笑)よく、あのね、部屋でね、曲をね作ってると、タバコとかパーッて吸って、ほんで一人でお漬け物とかビールとか飲みながらポンポンボタンとか押してて、その姿を見た人は「おじさーん!」って馬鹿にしてます。えーっと、ドーナツが好きです。あと、ポルシェが好きでーす(笑)。曲…あっそう、アルバムを作りまして、その中にもポルシェの曲があるので後で聴いて下さい。じゃ、かけまーす。

はい。次は「White Film」。これはですね、世にも美しいね男の人を発見しまして、ある日(笑)。ほんで、ほんで、ほんで、その美青年を思いつつ(笑)、作りました。ほんでね、この曲はね、私自分でパーっと曲を作って音も適当
に作って、ほんで、佐々木ひろのぶ君て言うお友達が細かくミックスしてくれて、ちょっと音こうして、とか言
うと作ってくれるんだけど、この曲では佐々木君が大活躍で、そのおかげでね、ちょっと、いい感じの曲になって人気です。私にも友達にも。そう、まあ、聴いて下さーい。

「Bebe」。「Bebe」と言う曲です。これはね、やたら長いんですけど、いつもね、作ってるとどうも女々しい感じになって、本当はボコボコ、ドスドスって感じの男っぽいのとか、何か、ヒップホップとかね、アホっぽい曲とか好きなんですけど、何か作るとそういうの出来なくって、ほんで、まあちょっとリズムとかね、ポンポンって入ってそうな曲を作ろうと思って。そう、でも内容はね、えーっと、中尾ミエとか、伊藤みどりやっけ?伊藤ゆかりとかがね、これね話しは飛ぶけど、「こんにちは赤ちゃん」と言う曲ね、知り合いから聞いたんだけど、今は全然かかってないの皆気づきますか?あれ駄目なんだって。かけたら。ブ-って、えっとね、赤ちゃん産めない人とかドキッとさせてはいけないってことでね。そこを、私は(笑)えー、歌っております。まぁ、作った時はそんな事実は知らなかったんですけど。「こんにちは赤ちゃん」とか流したら駄目って。まぁびっくり(笑)そう、それでね、フランス語は私全然知らないんですけど、怪しい、多分フランス人が聞いたら「あれ、何言うてはんの?」っていう感じのフランス語をちょろっとだけ喋ってます。挨拶程度…はい。それでは、怒らずに聴いて下さい。「Bebe」。

はい。えーっと今ここにいる、可愛いらしいお方とお喋りしてたんですけど。今度は、うちのお父さん、帰って来ないお父さんと言う曲を作って、また怒られようと思いまーす。次、「東京」て言うタイトルの曲。ありがちなタイトルで、まぁちょっと自分でも嫌な感じなんですが。え~、汚いなぁーとかよく思うんですけど、東京。ほんでだけ
ど、もう汚すぎて綺麗、みたいな。ダサ過ぎてかっこいい、とかそういうのありますよねぇ?ほんでまぁ結局は愛を込めて歌っております。作っております。

本当は大阪に住んでたんですけど、生まれたし、大阪で…でもね六年ぐらい、18の時から、あっ私は24才でございます。(笑)18ぐらいから東京に住んでて。もう最近はね、飽きてきたと言うか、他のとこに住みたいなあと、ダーリンと一緒に言っております。今はね下品な東京の中でも汚い所に住んでて、これもね汚な過ぎて好きなんですけど、池袋に住んでるんですよ。結構駅からね、10分ぐらい歩くんだけど、そうすると住宅街みたいなんがあって、結構マンションとかアパートがあるんですけど。ほんでねその10分間ぐらいの間に、私は女やからあまり声をかけられないけど、男の子の友達とか家に来る時ね「ちょっと」なんやっけな?「マッサージ、マッサージ」とか(大爆
笑)、とかなんかね…なんやっけな?忘れた、色々まぁこうちょっと外国語訛りの日本語で、次から次へと声を掛けられるそうです。そんで、まぁ十人ぐらい見掛けるかな、そういう立ってる女の人。でもね、日本人と思われる女の人もいてて、うん、まぁ色々…あっそう、ほんでスーパーとか遅くまで開いてるんですよ。5時、とかね。いい感じ。まぁまぁ、はーい。汚い東京。どうぞ。

今年の夏から、あのね、サーフィンしようかなと思い始めて、最近ちょっと友達になった人が、去年かな?一昨年かな?サーフィン留学をしてて、多分あまり勉強してなかったんかな?わからん。外国でよくサーフィンをしてたみたいで、その人が、多分たまに行ってるみたいなんで、どこか、千葉とかかな?私も行こうかなと思ってるんですけど。でね次の曲はマネキンサーファーという曲なんだけど。あの~サーファーの曲なんですが。で、マネキンなんですよね。(笑)そのまんまや!(笑)これね私の好きな歌、です。うん、歌詞が好き、かな。そう。マネキンのような心でーす。(笑)何やそれ!?!(大爆笑)可笑しい。まぁ冷たい感じで夏に聴くとええかと思われまーす。聴いて下さい。

えーと、「マーブルワルツ」をかけまーす。これはですね、もうすごい睡眠不足で、しかもお酒とか飲んでて、何か知らん間にぱっぱと出来てた曲なんですけど。そう、いい感じで。あの、うちのお母さんは私の曲を嫌いがるんですけど。「もう何ノリコー、暗い曲を作って、とか。もっとあの、何?Misiaみたいなとか。ヒカルちゃんみたいな、あっちゃうちゃうあゆみちゃんや。あゆみちゃんみたいな曲作らな!」とか言って、私のは全然反応示してくれないんですけど、そう実はね、結構それショックで。うちのチエコママちゃんにも聴いてもらうかなぁと思って、多分作った、かな。はい!おかーブー聴いてね!

えー、最後の曲でーす。これ~、あ、そう、最初に私、ポルシェとドーナツとか好きでーすって言ったんですけど、そう、タイトルはポルシェなんですけど、そんな特に素晴らしい曲でもないんですけど、(笑)ちょっとつけてみました。最近、初めてこう天井のバーッとね、開いたポルシェに乗って大興奮しました。かっこいいですよねぇー。まぁアホな女子大生、こんなん言ったら怒られるかな?アホな女子大生のように思われそうですが、そう、かっこいいので好きでーす。ほんでね、実はこの曲は、最初「昆虫採集」ていう曲だったんですけど。(笑)

何かね、最初ノリノリで作ってて。歌詞とかにもね、ミドリムシとか、揚羽蝶とか色々登場してて、楽しい曲だと思ってたんですけど、よう考えたら、あれ?何かこの曲あんまりよくなーい、とか思い始めて。失敗したんですよ。ほんで、色々ね、削ったりして作りかえたんですけど。ほんでね、テレビ見てたら、F-1ですよ。F-1好きでブーンと走ってて、ほんで友達から聞いたんだけどね、これは感動的な話で、ブーンとこう走るでしょう、F-1で車が。そうするともう何かあまりにも走るから、レース終わった時とか、まぁ勿論まだ走れる状態だけど、車は。結構もう、何?燃焼し尽くすていうか、ポンコツっぽくなるらしいんですよ。「おお、かっこいい!」と思って。ほんでね、私ももう、ノリノリで昆虫採集(笑)を作っててんけど、何か知らん間に昆虫採集はポンコツになってて。ほんでね、まぁちょっとポルシェのことを思い出しました。綺麗な曲です。ブーンって感じにしょうと思いました。じゃ~ね、バーイバイ!

Transcription: Robert Duckworth (Winter, 2003). Posted here with absolutely no permission at all.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?