<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 19, 2004

Freeze! 

According to the current currency conversion rates, my two cents worth is actually worth only about 2.14208 JPY today, so I guess I'm working with a little less of a margin that I'm used to here, so I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

As you all surely must know by now, the most controversial issue here in the Japanese news this week has been the embarkation of Japanese Self Defence Forces to Iraq. Needless to say, the national and international repercussions of event have been hotly debated in terms of its constitutionality, its actual strategic military value/risk, if this will finally give Japan shot at gaining a seat on the UN Security Council that it has for so long coveted, and so on. I will not attempt to brook such subjects in this humble blog. Greater persons are having greater debates in greater places than ever I could. I can, however, offer up a single, unnerving question. But before I do, I'd like to offer up the following item to the scrutiny of all parties interested, which involves the details surrounding the fatal shooting of a one Yoshihiro Hattori on Oct. 17, 1992 in Louisiana. Please take the time to peruse these two versions of the story, for the sake of objectivity. Version 1 (Please beware of the vulgarities, and scroll down to the section titled "Halloween English" | Version 2 (Please scroll to the bottom, and begin reading from "On October 17, 1992...") And now for my queston, which is simple: Just how well can these SDF guys speak English?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?