<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 11, 2003

A DJ, a VJ and Robert walk into a bar... 

Note: As I sit writing this, I'm just out of the shower, about to start my night's reading, and am drinking homemade Irish coffee in an effort to continue to add booze to any imbibition, regardless of time or place.

Tonight I joined DJ Mandali (international man of mystery) and Nao Suzuki (the up-and-coming VJ) in Omotesando at a fine Yakitori place, and was treated to drinks (once actually, my favorite 'umeshu rokku'). They had just come from some friends opening (perhaps a label/brand?) party, and they were dressed up to the nines. I had just come from a meeting with a friend in the undoubtedly soon to be terrorized Shinjuku, and was hovering around a three point something on the Fashionometer. (Yes, my clothing is made by exploited third-world women, but I can't help it at this point.) Anyway, it was a pleasure to have an extended conversation in Japanese with the two of them. DJ Mandali's Japanese is formidable to say the least (I mention this as he's of the Caucasian persuasion), and he expounded on the various aspects his performance aesthetic. I sat enthralled. Nao gave us some info on her roots as a painter and subsequent transition to VJ (it appears to be all Ludo's fault), and then gave us a peak into the limitation of the artform as she now sees them. I suggested a few programs that I thought were useful and we left it at that. We wound up the evening with that all-to-familiar topic of 'gestural theatre' (thanks Kim), whichh was first broached by DJ Mandali. I refered him to the current arguments on the matter, and he and I engaged in a lively exchange (in English) during a brief time that Nao had excused herself. I hope to speak with him again at length in the near future after he's digested a few articles that I send to him just now. I'm hoping for fresh perspective, which I'm sure he's more than capable of. For the time being, and thanks mostly to a sort-of friendly prodding by my DJ friend, I came to realize that this isn't a soluble problem, personally speaking. I've simply elected to juggle the various points on the continuum of answers that I've become aware of over the years, and this depending on where I'm performing, and who I'm performing with. How predictable! In any event, I look forward to their upcoming performances, which I will attend with pleasure.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?