<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 18, 2003

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville nine that day... 

Hideki Matsui (#55 of the NYC Mets) is perhaps my favorite sportsman in any sport, and anyone who knows me knows that I don't really care for most sports in the first place. It must be that combination of skill and humility -- a rare combination in American professional sports -- that attracts me to him. His smile last night was cute. I guess his attitude is due in part to the fact that he's a rookie, and also in part to the fact that he's Japanese, since I imagine that Japanese have a unique understanding of the deference of the situation. I suppose a possible reaction could have been for him to been overly-cocky, but thank goodness that he didn't go that route. I look at someone like an Ichiro have having been won over by the "dark side" of the force. He's been America for a long time playing sports, and somehow it's a more-or-less American sports attitude that you can see in his eyes.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?