<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 2, 2003

More thoughts on TV 

Television Statistics: According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube. Why don't I fear this conservative estimate? Well, even though I constantly have the TV on (I'd guess for more than 8 hours a day) I'm not in America, I'm not watching TV in English (except when I'm "reverse engineer viewing" English learning programs), and so no matter what level of sublimity or trash I'm viewing at (frequently both) I'm constantly soaking up the language, which is quite useful, topical, and above all, cheap(er) than going to a language school. For the first time, I feel extremely confident going into the Japanese Language Prof iciency Exam.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?