<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 18, 2003

Confession 

I have read and re-read Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation, but I regret that I seem incapable of seeing in it a sustainable line of thought. Most notably in 'the will as thing in itself' and it's general applications. His metaphysics are lost upon me. Thankfully, his more restricted idea of the will to life and it's implications seem much more approachable to me. His thoughts on the will and intellect I find especially useful. He mentions a possible explanation for madness (W2, 400) but I wonder if some kinds of madness might be able to be explained under the rubric of the individual losing his sense of division between subject/object = will (as manifested as 'I'). Might the loss (transcendence?) of this distinction lead to behavior observable as madness in others who still maintain this sense of seperation? Also what Schopenhauer says on music is interesting. I'll have to read more.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?