<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 28, 2003

Robert's brain on Jean Snow and both of them on masturbation. 

Jean talks here about his next-door neighbor's masturbatory behavior. Below Jean and Robert reflect on the post and it's related comments over a cup of coffee at Office Meguro.
----------
Jean: So Robert, you were saying that you wanted to talk about that wacky (pun intended) neighbor of mine. You know, the one who was always masturbating?

Robert: Yeah, wanted to go a little deeper into the whole thing.

Jean: (Reclines slightly) What's there to go into? I guess he didn't know we could see him, and he went at it. End of story.

Robert: But your guess could be wrong, Jean. I mean, this could all be part of the thrill. I'm sure you French speaking people must have a good word for the thrill of being seen. Some kind of antonym for voyeurism. As they might say in America, it takes two to tango, if you know what I mean.

Jean: (Sits back up straight) Well, whatever you say. I just think that's taking things a bit too far. The guy was just spaking the monkey, and didn't know that we knew.

Robert: Oh, I totally agree that the guy was probably clueless, but still it's fun to imagine that something a little more cloak and dagger was going on.

Jean: It looks like you may have way too much free time, Robert. What are you, like a grad student or something?

Robert: (Smiles) Touche! But there was something else that I wanted to mention. Don't you think that blogging itself is comparable to masturbation anyway?

Jean: (Takes a long sip) Where are you going with this?

Robert: (Leaning closer) I think you know where I'm going with this, Jean. Peter commented with the queston "When will people learn to draw their curtains?" and I think that the answer is that they'll draw their curtians when they realise that no one is looking anymore. Isn't that the difference between a blog and a diary anyway? The thrill of indecent mental exposure to complete strangers?

Jean: But my webpage is here to provide information about...

Robert: Right, right. What's going on in Tokyo. But the fact that you aren't from the city has everything to do with the interesting aspects of the page. I mean, in a manner of speaking, you're that lonely Asian guy taking a shower in Sydney, playing with your...

Jean: (With feigned seriousness) Take it back.

Robert: (Seriously) OK. I take it back. I was just trying to get you to see it from the other side. What about what your wife said?

Jean: You're not dragging Yuko into this discussion, are you?

Robert: No, she has nothing at all to do with it at all.

Jean: Because if she did, I'd...

Robert: Well, I can't really say nothing at all, but...Hey, let's just drop it, OK?

Jean: (Quickly) Sure. Sugar please.

Robert: Of course. One lump or two?

Jean: Two.

Robert: There you go.

Jean: Thanks.

Robert: Don't mention it.

Jean: (After a long pause) So...where were we?

Robert: (Clearing throat) Well, I know that I might be pushing things here, but I think that the nonchalance that Yuko displayed (as one of your commenters has pointed out) in asking how long your neighbor could last might actually encapsulate the whole issue.

Jean: You're on thin ice here, buddy.

Robert: (Glaring through his shades) At least hear me out, IKEA-boy.

Jean: I'm listening...

Robert: I just wanted to say that her nonchalance about the display, and the nonchalance of the display itself are in perfect parallel. The only people in your two posts who seem to have been scandalized are you and Peter.

Jean: So you are implying that I'm totally misinterpreting the socio-cultural aspects of the event, and that my wife Yuko as a Japanese person is more at ease with such things, and that she really has a better way of "processing" this event?

Robert: Well, I wouldn't exactly put it that way, but if you put it like that Jean, I guess I'd have to agree. Farting, public-bathing, and love-hotels are three things that I can think of right off the top of my head that would make most Americans squirm in a public setting, but the Japanese don't give them a second thought. They might muse about how long the guy can last or whatever, but that's as "bad" as it'll get. Which by the way sounds to us either childlike or way dirty. Either way we aren't really...

Jean: Interesting, but that just wouldn't cut the mustard back in Canada.

Robert: I know, I know. It wouldn't cut shit where I'm from either, but they do seem to have less hang-ups all around about such things, you know.

Jean: But how can you call indecent exposure a LACK of sexual inhibitions?

Robert: How can you say that the only thing that makes jacking off indecent is that someone happens to see it? All you have to do is not look, right? Then it will be "decent" once more?!?

Jean: Give me a second...

Robert: Which brings me back to my comparison with blogging...

Jean: (Exhales) Shall we order another cup of coffee first?

Robert: (Finishing his third cup) Sure.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?