<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 22, 2003

Homonymaphobia  

The word "senko" in Japanese has many homonyms. Here is a non-exhaustive list - precedence, first attack, major/specialty, perforate, flash, go underground, submerge, incense stick/sparkler, and selection. Its the penultimate one that I and some of my acquaintances concerned ourselves with today near that big ol' river in Saitama after we made a meal of home-cooked okonomiyaki. Of course I cooked, and I must say that it was tasty. During the fireworks, I recalled these lyrics. Thanks Vic.

My earliest memory is of holding up a sparkler
high up to the darkest sky
some 4th of July spectacular
I shook it with an urgency
I'll never ever be able to repeat
At times I might could be accused of being
painfully nostalgic
but as of late I'm looking forward to the future
though I've never been much of a planner
Throwing caution into the fan
catch as catch as those catchers can
And so all you observers in your scrutiny
don't count my scars like tree rings
my jigsaw disposition, its piecemeal properties
are either smoked or honey cured
by the panic pure

Lyrics to Vic Chesnutt's Panic Pure from his album West Of Rome


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?